Drupal is a modular system, and farmOS follows in those footsteps by providing all of it's features as singularly-focused modules on top of Drupal core.
All of these various modules, their dependencies, third-party libraries, and the official farmOS Drupal theme are packaged together into a farm-focused Drupal distribution that is collectively referred to as "farmOS".
Distributions of Drupal are roughly analogous to distributions of Linux. They serve to collect various code and configuration together in an intentional way. More information can be found in the Drupal distribution documentation.
To learn more about Drupal in general, refer to the Drupal documentation.
The purpose of the farmOS distribution is to collect all the modules in one package, along with some default configuration, theming, etc. Drupal.org has an automated packaging system, so if you are getting started with farmOS, downloading and installing a packaged release is the recommended approach. See installing farmOS for more information.
Included in farmOS¶
These modules are included directly in the farmOS distribution repository:
- Farm Access - Provides mechanisms for managing farmOS user access permissions.
- Farm Access Roles - Provides default roles: Manager, Worker, Viewer.
- Farm API - Extends the RESTful Web Services module to provide farmOS-specific APIs.
- Farm Area - Features for managing farm areas.
- Farm Area Generator - A tool for automatically generating areas. Requires GEOS library.
- Farm Area Import - A tool for importing multiple area geometries from a single KML file.
- Farm Area Types - Provides some default area types.
- Farm Asset - A farm asset entity type.
- Farm Asset Children - Provides child asset relationships.
- Farm Asset Property - Provides the ability to assign arbitrary (key-value pairs) properties to assets.
- Farm Asset Views - Default Views of farm assets.
- Farm Calendar - Provides a calendar view of farmOS logs.
- Farm Client - Integrates the farmOS server and client.
- Farm Constraint - Provides a framework for managing foreign key constraints between farmOS entities.
- Farm Crop - Features for managing farm crops.
- Farm Crop Area Types - Provides default area types for crop management: Bed, Greenhouse.
- Farm Dashboard - Provides a farmOS dashboard at /farm.
- Farm Data Field - Adds an arbitrary data field to logs and assets.
- Farm Equipment - Features for managing farm equipment.
- Farm Equipment Field - Adds an "Equipment used" field to logs.
- Farm Fields - Provides common base field definitions for farmOS entity types.
- Farm Fields Autocomplete - Adds autocomplete to text fields.
- Farm Fields Dynamic - Provides the ability for modules to define fields dynamically.
- Farm Flags - Provides a general purpose record flagging system.
- Farm Group - Features for managing group assets like herds, flocks, etc.
- Farm Help - Help pages for farmOS.
- Farm Import - Provides a framework for creating CSV importers in farmOS.
- Farm Inventory - Provides inventory management functionality for farm assets.
- Farm Ledger - Provides sale and purchase log types.
- Farm Livestock - Features for managing farm livestock.
- Farm Livestock Area Types - Provides default area types for livestock management: Paddock.
- Farm Livestock Weight - Features for tracking weight of animals with observation logs.
- Farm Log - Provides integration with the Log module.
- Farm Log: Activity - Provides an activity log type.
- Farm Log: Harvest - Provides a harvest log type.
- Farm Log: Input - Provides an input log type.
- Farm Log: Observation - Provides an observation log type
- Farm Map - Provides OpenLayers configuration for farm maps.
- Farm Map KML - Provides KML features for farm maps.
- Farm MapKnitter - Provides integration with Public Lab's MapKnitter.org.
- Farm Menu - Provides a menu for farm pages.
- Farm Metrics - Allow modules to define high level metrics.
- Farm Movement - Provides movement field and related asset location code.
- Farm People - A view of people associated with the farm.
- Farm Plan - A farm plan entity type.
- Farm Plan Consideration - Provides features for managing considerations within a farm plan.
- Farm Plan Map - Adds a map of areas and assets in a plan.
- Farm Quantity - Provides a framework for dealing with quantities.
- Farm Quantity Log - Provides helper functions for querying logs with quantity data.
- Farm Quantity Report - Generate reports of quantity measurements.
- Farm Quick - Provides a framework for quick forms in farmOS.
- Farm Report - Features for viewing reports.
- Farm Season - Provides a taxonomy and fields for organizing assets and logs by season.
- Farm Sensor - Features for managing farm sensors.
- Farm Sensor: Listener - ...
- Farm Soil - Provides features for soil health management.
- Farm Soil NRCS - Provides integration with NRCS Soil Survey data.
- Farm Soil Test - .Features for managing soil tests.
- Farm Soil: Compost - Features for managing compost.
- Farm Term - Provides helper functions for working with taxonomy terms.
- Farm UI - Provides standardized user interface support to farmOS modules.
- Farm Water - Provides features for water management.
- Farm Water Test - Features for managing water tests.
These modules aren't included with the farmOS distribution, but they can be added to extend your farmOS functionality:
- Farm Bee - Features for beekeeping.
- Farm Biodynamic - Provides a flag for marking records as "Biodynamic" in farmOS.
- Farm Eggs - Provides a simple UI for creating egg harvest logs.
- Farm Forest - Forest management module for farmOS.
- Farm Grazing - Provides a simple UI for creating egg harvest logs.
- Farm Maple - Features for management of maple tapping and production.
- Farm Map: Emilia-Romagna - Emilia-Romagna map layers for farmOS maps.
- Farm Map: PDOK - Dutch PDOK map layers for farmOS maps.
- Farm Map: Finland - Finnish map layers for farmOS maps.
- Farm Map: Norway - Norwegian map layers for farmOS maps.
- Farm Map: SJC - San Juan County, WA, USA map layers for farmOS maps.
- Farm Mushroom - Features for managing mushroom production.
- FarmOS NWS - Imports data from the National Weather Service into Drupal for use by farmOS.
- Farm Nutrient - Nutrient management planning module for farmOS.
- Farm Organic - Provides flags for marking records as "Organic" and "Not Organic" in farmOS.
- Farm Produce Safety - A produce safety record keeping module for farmOS.
- Farm Sensor: Atmospi - Integrates farmOS and Atmospi sensors.
- FarmOS WFS - Exposes FarmOS areas as a Web Feature Service (WFS) enabling bi-directional access through full-fledged GIS tools like Quantum GIS.
For more information and documentation about these modules, see farmOS community modules.
The official farmOS theme ("Farm Theme") that is included with farmOS is a Drupal theme based off of Bootstrap.